Saint Clare's Nurse Recognized with NAON Outstanding Orthopaedic Nurse
Recognized for Providing High Quality Health Care and Outstanding Contributions
in Orthopaedic Nursing
DENVILLE, NJ – May 15, 2013 – Saint Clare’s Health System announced that Katie Pierson, MSN, RN-BC,
ONC, has been selected as the 2013 recipient of the National Association
of Orthopaedic Nurses (NAON) Outstanding Orthopaedic Nurse Practice Award.
The Outstanding Nurse Practice Award recognizes a NAON member who has
provided high quality health care to the orthopaedic patient and has made
outstanding contributions over his/her career to the field of orthopaedic nursing.
The award will be presented at NAON 33rd Annual Congress on May 18 in San
The award selection task force evaluates candidates on several criteria,
- Consistently meets the physical, psychological, social, spiritual and educational
needs of the orthopaedic patient and family.
- Uses innovative ideas in planning the care of the orthopaedic patient and
uses various approaches to patient care problems.
- Stimulates nursing colleagues to improve patient care by contributing to
an atmosphere that encourages new concepts and skills.
- Serves as a role model to nursing colleagues and other disciplines.
- Effectively and sensitively communicates with members of the health care team.
- Creates an atmosphere of mutual respect with patients and members of the
health care team.
- Consistently maintains a high degree of clinical competence and current
Pierson serves as the Nurse Navigator for Orthopedics at
the Center for Joint Replacement at Saint Clare’s Health System.
The Center for Joint Replacement at Saint Clare’s Health System provides
comprehensive care that emphasizes education, the latest trends in pain
management and surgical techniques and shortest recovery periods. The
Center includes a team of highly trained physicians, specialized orthopedic
nurse navigators, skilled therapists and support staff dedicated to providing
expert, integrated care in a compassionate environment.
The Center for Joint Replacement at Saint Clare’s has also earned the Gold Seal of Approval and
Disease-Specific Certification from The Joint Commission for Hip and Knee
Replacement. The quality certification was awarded by demonstrating compliance
with The Joint Commission’s national standards for health care quality
and safety in disease specific care, including program management, delivering
or facilitating clinical care, supporting self management, clinical information
management, and performance measurement.
For more information on the National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses